This week, we interviewed Michael Masberg, our Associate Creative Director and storytelling mastermind. We spoke with him about how his background in theatre, role-playing games and novel writing shapes his approach to story and dramaturgy for bR projects in general, and the Esch2022 launch specifically.
As previously raised by Brendan Shelper, CEO of battleROYAL, and Nancy Braun, Director of the European Capital of Culture Esch2022, the central question of the initial concept for the Esch2022 Launch was: How can we build the crescendo for a societal momentum that takes a region’s population over the threshold into a new era? Or, in the words of Moloko: How can we “make this moment last”? Our answer: Rituals.
When cultural institutions in Germany went dark due to the strict contact restrictions in Spring 2020, creatives moved their activity from stages and other places of live encounters to the digital and hybrid realms causing some wild innovations. The rules of theatrical and live production were rewritten hourly. During this time, our creative team at battleROYAL were meant to enter the ideation phase for a major production and went fully remote. We developed our own approach, referring to it as ‘Creative Prototyping’. Let us take you on a journey of what‘s possible as soon as we take our minds off the treaded paths and start modulating the processes of ideation towards creating in and for a hybrid world.
You know our Senior Project and Event Manager Thalia Davies from our beloved Symphony of Now – The Hybrid Experience featuring Alex.Do. Now we want to give space to Thalia’s significant expertise and foresight when it comes to the live music and events industry as a whole.
- The new demands on office architecture – and what battleROYAL Berlin does differently now
- Welcome to the office of the future – how to design a perfect Post-Covid Office
- A How To Guide for Opening Ceremonies: How we created the event of the year with Esch2022 European Capital of Culture.
- How does the sound of a region sound like? Our Future Frequencies initiative has the answer
- battleROYAL Appoints Judith Hoch as Co-CEO: We Revisit Her 10-Year Journey With Us